Kitui County (015) is one of the 47 Counties in the Republic of Kenya. The county is situated in the former Eastern Province. The dominant community in the county is Kamba ethnic group.
Located along road B7 from Kibwezi, Kitui town is the headquarters and largest center in the county. However, there are other notable urban town centers in Kitui County including Mwingi, Kwa Vonza, Ikutha, Mutonguni, and Mbitini.
Sub-Counties in Kitui County
The county shares borders with the counties of Tharaka-Nithi, Meru, Embu, Machakos, Makueni, Tana River, and Taita-Taveta. And it is made up of eighteen (18) sub-counties. They include the following.
- Kitui Central
- Kitui West
- Mwingi Central
- Mwingi East
- Lower Yatta
- Mutitu North
List of 15 Best Places to Visit in Kitui County
There are several tourist sites and attractions in Kitui County. They range from National parks and reserves to heritage sites and hiking trails. If you are curious about discovering the county, below is a list of top places to visit in the land of untapped abundance.
- Visit South Kitui National Reserve.
- Explore Kanyonyoo Wildlife Conservancy.
- Go for a hike and bird watching at Mutito Hills.
- Stand on top of the famous Nzambani Rock.
- Visit the Mutomo Reptile Park.
- Explore and discover Muumoni Hills Forest.
- Go on a wildlife safari at Tsavo East National Park.
- Visit the Mutomo Hill Plant Sanctuary.
- Explore the scenic V-shaped Ikoo Valley in Migwani.
- See the scenic Ngomeni Rock outcrop.
- Relax at the Kalundu Eco Park.
- Visit the Mwingi National Reserve.
- Worship at the historical Ikutha Church (AIC).
- Explore the Gai Rock in Kyuso.
- Go hiking and birding at Mutha Hills.
How to Get There
The cheapest way of getting to Kitui and Mwingi towns from Nairobi is by road. Several buses are plying the routes either from Nairobi or Mombasa. Mwingi town is accessible by long-distance buses from Nairobi to Garissa like the Rayan Coach Bus.
Best Hotels and Resorts in Kitui County
Kitui County is home to some of the best hotels and resorts in the eastern region. Also, there are several campsites, guesthouses, and hotels in major towns in the county. Below are some of the best hotels in Kitui.
- Kitui Cottages & Guest House
- Ivia ya Nzambani Sanctuary
- Jolly Accommodation Center
- Thorn Tree By The Address
- Kitui Villa – Ubuntu Village
- Intercounty Gardens Hotel
- Kitui Premier Resort
- Signal Gardens Hotel
- Parkside Villa Hotel
- Dillano Park Hotel
- Ideal Palace Hotel
- Hotel San Marino
- Igloos Resort
- Jamliz Hotel
- Legacy Hotel
Kitui County Government Contact details
Location: Ground Floor, Tana Athi Water Services Board
- Phone: 0702 615 888
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: kitui.go.ke
- Phone: +254 000 111 222
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: tourism.kitui.go.ke