Machakos County is number 016 in the list of counties in Kenya. It is also part of the former eastern province together with Makueni, Kitui, Marsabit, Meru, Tharaka Nithi, Embu, and Isiolo counties.
Situated about 65 kilometers southwest of Nairobi is the famous Machakos town or Masaku. It is the largest town and the headquarters of Machakos County.
Machakos County stretches from latitudes 0º 45’ South to 1º 31’ South and longitudes 36° 45’ East to 37° 45’ East. It also borders the following counties.
- Nairobi to the West.
- Kiambu to the West.
- Embu to the North.
- Kitui to the East.
- Makueni to the South.
- Kajiado to the South West.
- Murang’a to the North West.
- Kirinyaga to the North West.
Sub-Counties in Machakos County
The County is divided into 8 sub-counties and 40 electoral wards. These sub-counties include the following.
- Machakos Town
Top attractions and things to Do in Machakos County
There are several popular tourist Attractions in Machakos County. Also, due to its proximity to Nairobi, the county is a launch town for safari trips. If you were wondering what is there to see and places to visit in Machakos, here are the top 10 attractions.
- Relax and picnic at the Machakos People’s Park.
- Visit the Maanzoni Sanctuary.
- Go explore Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park.
- Hike Mount Kilimambogo at the Ol Donyo Sabuk.
- Walk along the streets of Machakos and Tala towns.
- Experience the magical Kituluni/Kyamwilu magnetic hill.
- Explore the Iveti Forest – the second highest peak in Machakos.
- Visit the African Heritage House by Alan Donovan
- Explore the Lukenya Hills and Caves.
- Visit Mua hills.
- Walk along village paths to Kiima Kimwe.
- Experience Motorcycle racing or Gp-Karting at Whistling Morans.
Besides the above attractions, Machakos is also a great destination for a day trip. One can go on a hike in the nearby hills, take a road trip to Makueni, or just go eat Samosas at the T-Tot Restaurant.
What are your favorite things to do in Macha?
Related Post: Top 20 Things to Do in Mombasa County