How to book SGR Madaraka Express train tickets in advance
SGR Madaraka Express train is the direct train currently ferrying passengers between Nairobi and Mombasa which are the largest cities in Kenya. For tourists and travelers visiting Kenya, Mombasa and Nairobi are destinations one cannot afford to miss.
Since its introduction in June 2017, SGR Madaraka Express train has been serving a large number of people daily. On average, 2000 SGR Train tickets get booked every single day for the journey between the two cities.
The train has two classes: Economy class and First class. Being a four-hour train, the two classes do not have many differences compared to other long distance trains like Kilimanjaro ordinary train and Mukuba Express train from Tanzania and Zambia.
Since I posted my first blog on Madaraka Express SGR trains between Nairobi and Mombasa, many travelers have been asking a lot of questions about the service.
Here is a summary of answers to some of the questions I received.
1. What are the schedules, fare, and stops for SGR Madaraka express trains?
These are the SGR Madaraka Express train schedule, timings, ticket fares and destinations. Note that this is an express train and doesn’t stop at intermediate stations. According to Kenya railways, an inter-county train will be launched soon.
Update: Ticket price for the economy class is Kshs 1000 while that of First Class is Kshs 3000. Check here.
2. How long does the Madaraka Express train take from Nairobi to Mombasa?
The trains move at a maximum speed of 120 km/h. The journey from each city starts at 08:00 am and ends at 13:55 pm So the whole journey takes about 5 hours 55 Minutes for morning trains and about 5 hrs for the afternoon express train.
3. Where else can I get the SGR train tickets other than Syokimau and Miritini stations?
Now you can get the train tickets at the respective stations, using Mpesa (See the answer below), or using the Kenya Railways Online Booking Platform.
For international travelers without Mpesa which is Used to complete the payment online, See alternative method.
4. How can I book the train tickets via Mpesa?
The picture below illustrates how to book SGR Madaraka Express Train tickets in Advance using Mpesa mobile app.
You can also book the train tickets using USSD. This is currently the easiest way to book SGR tickets. All you need is a mobile phone with a Safaricom Sim Card.
Follow these outlined steps and in just a few minutes you will have the tickets.
5. How can I book SGR Madaraka Express train tickets online?
6. Can one book SGR Madaraka Express train tickets in advance?
Booking SGR Madaraka express train tickets have been a challenge given the high number people traveling daily between these two destinations. It is advisable to purchase the tickets for about Three to Four days in advance.
To do this you either need to:
- Go to the respective station (Miritini and Syokimau stations).
- Purchase using Mpesa
- Call Kenya railways to make a reservation and pay for the tickets using Mpesa or by visiting the station.
- Send someone to book for you or,
- Book online from the online portal (SGR Website online).
7. Where is the Nairobi SGR train station and Mombasa SGR train station located?
8. What are the luggage requirements for the Madaraka Express train?
A maximum of 30 kg is allowed in the train. They have provisions to store your luggage. It should not measure more than 1.6 m in height, width, and breadth. Check the Kenya Railways Website for other conditions of permitted and non-permitted goods and items.
9. How do I get from Nairobi city to SGR train station?
There is a commuter train from the city center at old Nairobi Railway station which transfers passengers to the main station every day at 06:00 am. You can also board a bus at Railways bus station which will drop you at Old Mombasa Rd along Mombasa road. The Main station is at a walking distance from the main road. There are also boda-bodas (Motorcycle taxis) which will charge you Kshs 50 to the station.
10. When are the ticketing counters open?
You can purchase the SGR train tickets From Monday to Sunday between 07:00 am and 16:00 pm East African Time. Booking is open 30 days before travel day.
Update: You can now book the tickets 60 Days in Advance (As From June 01, 2019)
11. Does Madaraka Express train have a restaurant?
Yes. You can get water, tea, snack, and other refreshments on the train.
12. Can you buy the tickets for me/us in advance?
I help travelers get the SGR Madaraka Express one way or return tickets in advance. You will pick them on arrival in Kenya or delivered to your preferred location within Nairobi.
13. Is there ticket refund policy in place if one misses the train?
The answer is yes. If you miss the train, you will get a refund as follows:
- If you notify the SGR train attendants in advance before the train departs, you will get an 80% refund while the operators retain 20% (refund fee).
- You will not get a refund if the train has already departed from the main or intermediate stations.
- In any case, you will not get a refund if the train ticket is lost or damaged to a point where it cannot be recognized.
Got more questions? Please feel free to ask them in the comment section below and share this post if it was helpful.
🙂 Happy travels on board Madaraka Express Train.
Please note that the Train Schedule Has changed since November 01, 2017. The Express train now runs from 3:30 pm to 8:15 pm while the County train runs between 8:00 am to around 2:00 pm. Check the Schedule Here.
The Schedule will change again effective December 01, 2017. Check out the 2019 SGR Train Schedule Here.
N/B: There is no longer a 9:00 am train.