SGR Madaraka Express Train Tickets Booking, Refunds and Rescheduling.
On June 01, 2019, Kenya Railways made improvements (Refunds and Rescheduling) on the Madaraka Express train service between Nairobi and Mombasa. Effective on the mentioned date, the improvements were meant to make the passenger service more efficient. Some of the improvements – by January 2020 – like online seat selection and completing the payment online using credit or debit cards have yet not been implemented.
Note: Last Updated on January 07, 2020.
The following are the announced implementations on June 01, 2019.
1. Online Booking and Seat selection.
- Passengers will now select their preferred seats online during booking. (Yet to be implemented).
- In addition to Mpesa, passengers can now pay for their tickets using credit/ debit cards for online bookings. (Yet to be implemented).
- The advance booking window has been extended from 30 days to 60 days.
2. SGR Tickets cancellation, refund, and rescheduling.
Passengers will now have an option for online cancellation of tickets, refund, and rescheduling subject to the following terms:
- Request for refund shall be accepted 48 and 72 hours before the time of travel for individuals and groups respectively.
- Refunds shall be subject to a 30% fee of the ticket price.
- No refunds shall be done for damaged or defaced tickets.
- Refunds shall be done using the model used at the point of purchase i.e. refund via Mpesa, bank or cash.
- Tickets will be rescheduled for the same class (First/Economy), origin and destination as per the initially purchased ticket, subject to availability.
- Passengers may reschedule up to 48 and 72 hours for individuals and groups respectively before the time of travel.
- Rescheduling shall attract a fee of 10% of the ticket price.
- Damaged or defaced tickets are not eligible for rescheduling.
- A ticket shall only be rescheduled once.
- A rescheduled ticket shall not be eligible for a refund.
3. Additionally, the following shall apply:
- Passengers found traveling with an invalid ticket or without a ticket shall pay full fare for Nairobi to Mombasa with an additional 30% penalty.
- Ticket sales shall be closed 30 minutes to departure.
- Minors above three (3) years shall pay full fare.
- During booking, minors will be required to indicate the parent’s or guardian’s national identification card (I.D) or passport number.
- If traveling alone, minors shall be required to present a copy of the parent’s/ guardian’s national I.D/Passport.
- Each passenger will be allowed only two (2) pieces of luggage of maximum length and height of 1.6 meters. The total weight should not exceed 30 kilograms.
Online Cancellation is not yet implemented. Passengers have to visit the station to reschedule or claim a refund.
To reschedule or claim for a refund for a ticket (within the specified timelines), passengers have to produce an original travel document.
4.0 Kenya Railways Contact Information
Mobile: +254709 388 888, 0709 388 887 (Inquiries, Bookings and Complaints)
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: Kenya Railways
Twitter Account: Kenya Railways
- How to Book SGR Tickets Online with Mpesa.
- Booking SGR Tickets without Mpesa (For International Travelers)