Are you planning a Rail and Road trip from Nairobi to Victoria Falls? If yes, below is a summary guide of the things you need to know and have.
Nairobi Victoria Falls Using Trains and Buses Guide Summary
Please note: This summary is based on a trip I did in 2017. The prices of transport, accommodation, and other things may have changed in the intervening years.
Do some research on Visa requirements and security issues before heading out.
Travel requirements and tips
- Valid Travel Passport
- Valid Visas (Not Required for Kenyan passport holders)
- Emergency Contact
- Yellow fever Vaccine Card
- Proof of accommodation
- Namanga border (Kenya-Tanzania) is the first entry point.
- Tunduma/Nakonde (Tanzania – Zambia) is the second one.
- Livingstone/Vic falls town (Zambia – Zimbabwe) is the third one.
- Nairobi to Dar Buses: Tahmeed, Dar express or Dar Lux
- Dar to Kapiri Mposhi Trains: Mukuba Express Train & Kilimanjaro Ordinary Train
- Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka: Random Buses or Matatus
- Lusaka to Livingstone: Mazhandu Family Bus, Shalom Bus Services & Juldan Motors
Dar es Salaam
- Hunch Backpackers Hostel
- MRC Backpackers
- Eazy’s Place
- Saadani Tourist Center – Hostel
- New Kapiri Mposhi Guest House
- Lusaka Backpackers
- Natwange Backpackers*
- Wanderers Backpackers and Campsite
- Flintstones Backpackers
Livingstone Town/Vic Falls Town
- Jolly Boys Backpackers
- Livingstone Backpackers
- Zinga Backpackers
- Nairobi to Dar es Salaam (Buses): Kshs 3,500 – Kshs 4,500 PP
- Dar to Kapiri Mposhi (Trains): Kshs 3600 – Kshs 4500 PP
- Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka (Buses/Matatus): Kshs 900 – Kshs 1100 PP
- Lusaka to Livingstone (Buses): Kshs 1,500 – Kshs 3,000 PP
- Lusaka to Dar es Salaam (Buses & Trains): Kshs 4,000 – Kshs 6,000 PP
- Dar es Salaam to Nairobi (Buses): Kshs 3,500 – Kshs 4,500 PP
- Accommodation: Kshs 1,500 PP (Dorms) – Kshs 6,000 (Rooms) Sharing
- Meals and Breakfast: Kshs 1000 – Kshs 3,000 per day
- Moving around the cities: Kshs 100 – Kshs 500 PP (BodaBodas/motorcycles) and Kshs 300 – Kshs 3,000 (Taxi)
Useful Blog Posts
- TAZARA Trains: Mukuba Express and Kilimanjaro Ordinary Trains
- My Journey: Nairobi, Kenya to Victoria Falls Travelogue
- Zambia to Malawi (V/V): Malawi to Zambia By Road
Custom Google Maps
- Nairobi to Victoria Falls Complete route
- Nairobi to Dar es Salaam
- New Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka to Livingstone
- Livingstone to Victoria Falls town
I have a Travel Guide on sale for the Rail and Road trip from Nairobi to Victoria Falls (ebook). It is complete with all the necessary fine details. Please have a Look on this page.