Kwale County (002) is one of the 47 counties in Kenya and part of the six counties in the former coast province. It is made up of four sub counties namely Matuga, Msambweni, Lunga Lunga and Kinango. Although Ukunda is the largest town in the County, Kwale town acts as the capital and administrative center.
There are many tourist attractions in Kwale County. These include national parks and reserves, historical sites, and beautiful beaches along the southern coastline. Travelers and Tourists can engage in watersports activities, take a sunset dhow ride or go skydiving. And if a relaxed experience is part of your Kenya travel plans, Kwale County might be the perfect place to rest and recharge.
Travel Hotposts in Kwale County
Diani Beach in Ukunda, Msambweni is the most popular travel destination in the county. But there are several other places worth exploring in Kwale. They include Tiwi, Shimba Hills, Funzi Island, Wasini, and Vanga.
Top 15 Things to Do and Places to Visit in Kwale County
With several islands and beaches, Kwale County is the best in Kenya for watersports, beach vacations, and luxury experiences. It is a perfect destination for scuba diving, kite surfing, snorkeling, sunset cruises, dolphin spotting, and dhow sailing. The following is a list of the top things to do in Kwale County.
- Visit the Shimba Hills National Reserve.
- Do watersports at Kisite Mpunguti Marine Park.
- Visit the Kongo Mosque and Kongo River Estuary.
- Take a sunset cruise to Wasini Island.
- Chill and relax at Gazi Beach and Diani Beach in Ukunda.
- Take on thrilling adventures such as Diani Sky Diving.
- Enjoy serene nature walks and birdwatching at Kaya Kinondo Sacred Forest.
- Visit the Diani Chale Marine National Park and Reserve.
- Join a guided eco-tour of the Colobus Conservation Centre.
- Chase the Sheldrick Falls within Shimba Hills National Park.
- Explore the Shimoni caves and Diani Mosques.
- Visit the Jungle Snake Park in Mwamanga.
- Explore the Beautiful Tiwi Beach.
- Relax in one of the beachfront hotels and resorts.
- Visit Mwaluganje Elephant Sanctuary.
By Air: Kwale County is home to Ukunda Airport (Diani). There are scheduled daily flights from Nairobi’s JKIA and Wilson Airport.
By SGR Train: Diani beach and other destinations along the south coast can be reached by rail from Nairobi. This includes a ride on the Madaraka Express train and a transfer from the Mombasa SGR terminus.
Road: Besides air and rail, towns in Kwale county are accessed by private or public road transport means. There are several buses from Nairobi to Mombasa and connections from Mombasa to Diani and other destinations in the county.
Where to Stay
Kwale County, especially in Ukunda, hosts some of the coolest and most beautiful resorts and hotels in Kenya. If you are searching for the best places to stay in the Diani Beach area, check out these accommodation facilities.
- Top 10 Best Beaches in Kenya
- Top 10 Best Airports in Kenya
- Best Domestic Airlines in Kenya
- Visiting Watamu and Top Things to Do
- Top 10 Things to Do in Taita Taveta County
- List of Best Places to Visit in Lamu County
- Kilifi County: List of Things to Do and Places to Visit